Jake and I were at a wedding, when he got the call that Jonna had fallen asleep on the couch at Grandma's and fell off and hit her head on the coffee table. Five stitches later, she now has a matching scar to her brother's incident from last year.

Three hours in the ER and a very traumatic five stiches for Jonna, she is good as new. It doesn't hurt her now, but she is very concerned about it and let's everyone know of her knew found "owie".
So, my first question asked to myself, is WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME AS A PARENT that my kids get hurt so much and we end up in the emergency room?!! I am so thankful, none of these visits have been more than small cuts, burns, bumps, or bruises, but MAN! This isn't getting easier. So, my theory is that God is getting all of this out of the way early, OR my biggest fear, is that he is preparing me for what may come in the future. AGHHHHHHH!
The worst part of being a parent is to see your children hurt. The best part is to be there for them to make them better. The details of my baby strapped to a board to constrain her while she had her head sewed up are horrible. The good part is she won't remember it. The bad part of it is, I will never forget it. I don't know who needed the other more after they unstrapped her. Me wanting to hold her, or her wanting to hold me. There is a reason why my husband is a Fireman, EMT, and schooling to be a Paramedic. God realized I needed a husband and the kids needed a father that had "trauma" training. LOL!
I fell in love with Jake for his sensitivity, his big heart, and being my caretaker. Truth is he is tough, but is overall a big teddy bear. And dang it, Mama needs him in times like these more than any other. I don't have it figured out, but God does. He knew long before Jake and I had kids, that he was the man for me. To stand beside the ER bed, rubbing my back and calming me as he rubbed Jonna's arm and talk to her AND me reassuring it would be all over soon. The worst part about this is, you can't be weak, when your babies, hurt. You have to hold it together. They see you are scared, and it makes them more scared. This one was pretty darn hard.
Moral of this story: I can't help but be so thankful. For my kids and my husband. Thank God for it not being worse than it could have been. And thanks to him for giving me the reminders of how blessed I am to have Jake as my husband, and two healthy, 'active' children. And sometimes, life is tough, but there is always an upside!
Like, this.
Ben comes home from school on Friday, and I look in his folder in his book bag to find this.

I knew it was something specific. And I let him know how proud I was of him for it, but then asked.... as any parent would do that really had no clue what the picture was. "Ben, tell me about it." He pointed to the red figure and said, "Mom, that is you!" Pointed to the black and yellow one, and said "This one is me. We are power rangers together. You are the red one and I am the black and yellow one!"
Well, why couldn't I see that. This put tears in my eyes. My son thinks I am a super hero with him. Oh, man I love these kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment