This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Tuesday, January 25, 2011

ER BABY

Oh, my son Benjamin. He never ceases to amaze me. So, after Jake was able to complete his task with Jonna and before heading to his second job, I had to call him and tell him to call in and meet me at the school. Once again, headed to the ER with Benjamin.

Apparently, he was talking to one of his friends while attempting to step up to the urinal and missed the step and went forehead first into the urninal. Nice. One inch deep gash wide open down to the bone. So, blood pouring everywhere, they clean him up and bring him to the office. He didn't lose consciousness, and there were no clear signs of a concussion and besides the gaping wound and very scared three year old, he seemed ok.

Jake met us at the school, I sat in back with icepack on our way to the hospital. We knew Ben was off to get his first set of stitches. Each time I saw the gash, I think my heart leaped a little, cuz I could actually see his skull. Not a great site looking at your son.

You know just on a side note: Even though this is our fourth visit to emergency with Ben it sure doesn't get any easier!

Three hours in the ER, one hour nap for Ben, a board with straps to bundle him up like a burrito with arms tied down, five minutes of screaming and agony for Mom and Dad to hear him go through this at bedside. We proceed to tell him how big he is, and what a good boy he was being while fighting back tears ourselves, Ben screams, "I AM NOT GOOD!" 7 stitches, two on inside, and five on the outside. He was just dandy, and shoved a bagful of miniature chocolate chip cookies in his mouth once his hands were free, and he got a big hug from Mama Bear. Grandma K was kind enough to meet us at the ER with the treat.

We stopped by the school to see his classmates and teacher to let them know he was ok. I talked to Mrs. W. that night, and found two teachers had to get replacement clothes that day from all the blood Ben shared. And she also said, that after I relieved her with Ben, she had to take a moment to herself and cried. She was so upset that Ben got hurt. It really makes a mother feel good when you know your child is receiving the same care you would give them as a mother in your absence. Thanks Mrs. W!

So, Ben is just fine, and I have to say, after all these escapades, I am just truly thankful that nothing serious has happened to Ben.

All is well in the Holee Realm.

2 comments:

Crystal Ann said...

Glad he's okay!!

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness, poor little Ben! He just can't catch a break with all of his injuries! I can't even imagine how aweful and scary the whole experience had to be. Glad he is okay.