I was never the drop dead gorgeous model looking girl with beautiful long legs, long flowing lustrous hair, and perfect complexion. I was the girl that all guys wanted to be a friends with but really wanted to date one of my friends. I was/am a tomboy with short legs and short arms. I have to hem my pants, and buy shirts that don't make my shoulders look to broad. Loved to play sports, but can only play well enough to get the job done. I was never the all star athlete in highschool. The all- americans that several of my siblings were. Always been competitive, it's my family's nature. I made good grades, graduated with a 3.9 grade average from highschool, but I had to work hard at my grades. I wasn't the girl that could take the ACT and score above a 30 easy. I was lucky to get my 23. Graduated with a Bachelor's Suma Cum Laude after changing my major three times from Biology to Nursing to Business Administration. Wouldn't change it in a heart beat. Although, hope one day to get my Master's or finish my Biology degree.
I am a 30 year old woman, soon to be 31, that feels I have done all right. I feel good about my life. I have a wonderful husband, amazing children, a great job, and some super awesome family. God has blessed us over and over. And, I really am in better shape than I have been for the longest time, if ever.
All in all, I am well.
Then, there was the moment. A moment last night that I felt downright exceptional. I was able to sub in my sister's softball team. I played softball for several years from probably age 23-27 for fun before I had Benjamin. I wasn't anything great, but I did all right as a second baseman. And could get on base oh, I would say about 50% of the time. Needless to say last night, I was unpolished. It had been a while and well, my body isn't what it used to be. They put me in outfield, and I had fun. Snagged a few balls and then totally missed a few.
In our second game, we were down by two and headed to the last inning. My sister Terressa (who was all American soccer) was up to bat first. She spankin lead us off with a homerun. It was awesome and we were pumped! She had a pulled Quad and still rounded those bases faster than I ever could. This got our spirits up. I don't know who was more excited for her, me or her. We were able to score two more, and were now up by 1, and to the outfield. We had to hold them. One of the several guys on the opposing team was known for clearing balls way to the outfield. So, I was ready. I thought to myself. OK, if it comes my way, you are gonna go for it no matter what! Well, it did come my way, but I had to get to it. It was gonna fall right in the middle between me and the second baseman if I didn't haul my tail end to get there. It was coming fast, and I made it! Imagine, running full force outstretched left arm diving in towards the popfly. I snagged it, and did a somersault into the grass, holding on to it with my dear life. There was no way after catching that ball, that I was gonna lose it from my glove! I don't know who was happier, me or the guy to my left playing outfield. He comes running up picked me up and swung me in circles. I was so spankin ecstatic! Ended with a little happy dance in the outfield, and lots of Hoor-ay's for me! Saying that was the darned best catch of the game! It was just the most awesome feeling ever. And, we ended up getting two more outs and we WON the game.
I have to admit, Terressa did get mvp of that game, but I didn't do to shabby myself. I had even made it home once after running the bases faster than I have ran anywhere in a long time. Probably since last time I played ball. And my legs feel it today!
So, I was never that girl, but last night I sure felt like I was. On top of the world. Jake got an earful when I got home. I think all he could was chuckle and smile at how happy he knew I was.
From what started out to be an average Wednesday, ended up being downright fantastic. And the coolest part was bragging about it again to Benjamin this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment