This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Complex Circuit

Do you ever kind of measure how your workout was for the day? Last week, during lunch I worked out at the Y, and finished up, headed to the locker room. A lady that was in there looked at me and said, "Wow, I must be doing something wrong. I never sound like that after a work out." I always have judged my workouts based on sweat, spaghetti muscles, and accelerated breathing. Apparently, I sounded pretty winded. And yes, I felt I had a good workout that day.

Let's add another factor to this workout. One, feeling like you are gonna throw up. Every so often, I do get to that point. I need to do some research on where that part comes from. I do know I can't eat a large meal or too soon before a workout. Because I know I will get the upset stomach. Most times, I have cut this factor out because well, I don't eat too heavy prior to when I am working out, or try to eat at least an hour before with little to no carbs.

Hello, "Complex Circuit" compliments of Jason. It was a routine of 6 different lifts, and burpees. The only thing I ate before hand was a protein shake with powder and water. I knew I was gonna be hurtin on the workout with Coach Kusick. Stories be told, he is pretty tough.

He introduced me to a whole other factor on how to judge a good workout. Not just the sweat but tears. No, I didn't cry, but man I sure felt like it. In the five sets of the "complex circuit" the first being just a warm up. (thanks Jason for clarifying after I thought I finsished the third and only had one more to go, but then realized I had two more to go!) The lateral raise was the final lift of the circuit in each of the sets. When I got to it.....OH MY! I pushed and pushed until I felt like my arms would not move anymore. By the fourth and fifth set, I practically felt like I was pushing back tears to finish. My mind wanted to complete, but the body just wouldn't do it. Is that called pushing yourself to "muscle Failure?" not sure. But I do know, I did some lifts I have never done before, and with the help of Jason did them in some pretty good form. I hurt, oh, yes I hurt, but it was a hurt so good feeling. I felt accomplished. I felt good.

I know I need to work on abs and core to help protect my lowback. It is a little weak. So, I am up for the next challenge. Off to the gym on lunch. I have never been so excited about working out before!

And, oh yes, I will meet this complex circuit again.

2 comments:

Lori O said...

I am learning to love that feeling!

Crystal Ann said...

I got to feel a little bit of that feeling last night during my first home workout :) You are such an inspiration maria!