I don't have any stress. Lack of sleep, but not really stress. Time and time again, I try to go back and remind myself to never take for granted all the good in my life.
Jake just had his 31st birthday, which I totally forgot to wish him on here or any other technological device or agent (Facebook/email) I actually did it in person. Which I actually feel is always the most meaningful!
The night before his birthday I made a cake at work that day and brought it home with some icecream. It was supposed to be a surprise, I had invited some family over, and some of our friendly neighbors. My brother kind of gave him a clue of the surprise with showing up hours in advance and asking him, "so are people coming over for your birthday tonight?" Thanks John.
We hung out and played hours of Mario Brothers 3 on the Nintendo. Now that is some good ole fashioned fun. Jonna and Ben even took their turns with it, and thought they were super amazing at the game. Jonna would even jump sometimes with Mario.
Jake had to work on his birth"day" so, I decided to at least pick up the kids after school and bring them over to the Firestation with some good ole fashioned Chinese take-out! And of course some of the left over Chocolate Cake with Cream cheese and chocolate chip filling. MAN it was spankin good!
As always, the kids took turns sitting in the driver's seat on the fire trucks and turning the lights off and on. It is always so thrilling to them. Then after the fire trucks we of course have to play on the gym set that is in the bay. Jonna is very good at lifting the weight bars up and down as she grunts to let us know how strong she is. Ben attempts to peddle on the exercise bike, after we tell him 13 times to stop before Jonna puts her finger in the wheel and chops it off.
All of this sounds pretty simple, and the best part is these are memories we will always cherish and it only cost us $16.45 for the chinese. lol!
Family is a huge for me. Coming from a large family, makes me realize how important simple things in life really are. Such as taking the kids to visit Dad at the firestation. My children and my husband are my world. My goal is to be our kid's superhero, and even as early as them being 3 and 1 year old, I know one day I am going to have to watch them make decisions for themselves. Decisions I may not always agree with. I am the "sister" who doesn't keep her mouth shut. I am in trouble, because I am gonna have to work really, especially hard to be the Mother that does. I was a teenager/young adult, that in some sense was just a little crazy, ornery, wild, however you want to put it. My Mom and I butt heads like no tomorrow. Now, that I am a mother, and feel the feelings she has felt with my brothers and my sisters I have this overwhelming truth hanging above my head that being a parent doesn't get any easier. Er visits with my son now for burns, bike wrecks, and cuts are probably nothing compared to what Jake and I will endure as we watch our children turn into young adults. And I will be truly honest it scares the bejeezes out of me. I have had two really good teachers though. I have learned from some of the best parents that I think are out there. They make decisions based on what they think is the best for their kids, and in some of those situations it means not making a decision at all, but letting their kids decide. It's about giving them the opportunity to excel in life, and then when I know I have raised them to my fullest capacity, when they succeed I succeed. That is one fine reward.
Since, I am really hoping this will seem like its forever away, I am going to bask in the moments of going to firestation and watching my kids turn the big wheel and flip the blinking lights off and on.
No comments:
Post a Comment