This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Present Day Rambling and Types of showering

Since I have started this blog, I think a LOT about it. Like what am I going to write next!? I keep going back in time and talking about the past. But seriously there is so much to write about present day also.

I remember my pregnancy blog. Boy, now if that wasn't some present day rambling. Now, not all was rambling, but some really good heartfelt stuff. Didn't think about it then, but what a simple life for the most part. Went home at night from work, had dinner, watched tv, read a book, spend quality time with the hubby. Go to sleep. Pretty simple. That really about wrapped it up.

A day in the life: Up anywhere from 4:30 to 5am with Ben, sometimes get to doze a little while cuddling with Ben before the alarm goes off at 5:45. If he is asleep, that is fantastic, if not, well, it can be a little bit of chaos.

Since Ben came around there are three types of showers I can take:
1) Ben is awake. Close bathroom door with him inside while I shower, peak out the curtain to see what he is doing. Take his hand out of toilet. Keep him from falling in the shower with me while he tries to grab the rain drops. Smile and laugh with him as he gets splashed in the face. Make sure he stays out of the cabinets. Make sure he doesn't put anything in his mouth that isn't edible. Take away shoe as he chews on the soles. These are usually five minute showers, not really any shaving of the legs in this one, and if you can imagine the floor and walls can get pretty wet while I lean back and forth out of the shower.
2) Ben is asleep in our bed. It sits a few feet from the ground, and Ben hasn't quite mastered crawling out of it. Bedroom door closed, bathroom door wide open. Turn shower on, make sure Ben is still asleep, jump in the shower. Peak out curtain, make sure Ben is asleep. Ahhhhh breathe in and out with a great sigh enjoying the hot water on your shoulders. Peak out curtain again. Shave legs. Peak out curtain. Wash face. Wash and condition hair. Peak out curtain. Sigh again thinking if I really have to get out of the shower. Usually a seven minute one. On occasion Ben wakes up while I am in the shower. Whether lathering conditioner or shampoo or suds all over, I jump out of the shower to grab him from the bed with a pillow, bring him in the bathroom and close the door. Give him the pre-made sippy cup to soothe him while I finish up in the shower. If you can imagine, Ben gets pretty wet, along with the our carpet, bed and bathroom floor.
3) The most enjoyable shower of all: Jake is home and watching Ben or he is asleep in his bed and hasn't awaken. Good 15 to 20 minute shower: Sigh, Turn water on, get in the shower. Soak up ever bit of the hot shower beading on my shoulders, head, and face. Just stand there for a good minute or 5. Breathe, ahhhhh! Shave legs, shampoo, condition, in no order what so ever. Breathe. Ahhhh, pause and enjoy. Think about what the day will bring. What do I want to write today in my blog? What are we going to have for dinner. What fun event can Ben and I do this weekend? Is Jake off this weekend, maybe we can do it together as a family. Wonder if I really need to go to work today, or should I just crawl back in bed. When is my next vacation day? Did I pay the utility bill? Ahhhhh, breathe. Who cares....... So nice..Sing a verse of the last song I heard before I went to bed the night before...Ponder.. I really do sing good in the shower...Breathe...OK- time to go. Water off, and a new day has begun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until they want to take a shower with you everytime they hear the shower start up...

Anonymous said...

I keep reminding myself, in just 18 short years when the last child is gone(hopefully), I will have long showers, baths, naps, etc and probably bawling my eyes out missing all the interruptions!
God Bless grandchildren-

Maria said...

ah, yes, grandchildren, I will be fifty. Whoa now! Ben is still a baby!