This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 6 Potty Training


Dear Jonna,

I am so stinkin proud of how far you have come in potty trainging in only 5 days. You may ask why I am writing about it now vs. on day 2 or 3. From this experience I have gotten to know you just a little bit better. It may have to do with the hours that I have spent sitting beside you on the potty chair. Or the fact that you have got to run around half naked for the last several days.

Jonna you can be stubborn, cute, hilarious, loveable, and trying all in the same minute. As you sit on your little turtle potty chair with Dora the explorer undies at your ankles. You make faces at me. Furrow your eyebrows and giggle and laugh for no reason at all. You read books, play with cars, comb your hair, and look at me from the corner of your eye while sitting on this everloving chair. Then when you think I might give in you hop up and try to walk away, and I plop you right back down. Sometimes you get angry, cry, and hit, and then others you laugh at me like you are winning some sort of game. I know you are ready, but it is your little mind that is the challenge. Since you were born, you have thought you are the boss of everyone including your older brother. You will see what you can get away with. You have more selective hearing than any child I have come across. Your selective hearing makes Dad and I bust in laughter in one minute, and then want to scream in the next. Man, I love you!

Day 1: 4 times on the potty chair from 8am to nap time After nap two accidents, a poop on a blanket. You thought it was cool until you realized you would have to do it all the time.
Day 2: Mom was away most of the day, you refused to pee on the potty after sitting for 15 minute periods and would get off peeing on the floor a minute later. That night, after sitting for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, me and Dad taking turns at your side, not allowing you to get up. You peed in the potty. Sticker on the sticker board! And you stayed dry all night. The sticker board is for each success. I have also learned to time your drinks, and pay attention!
Day 3: Peed in the potty first thing in the morning after just 10 minutes. First day at daycare, you had accidents all day. We got home, and you peed on the potty twice. The first potty took an hour and half for you to give in. You sat from about 6 to 730pm. I about finished the book I was reading. You thought it was play time, playing peek aboo with the shower curtain. I did my best to ignore the playing. YOu may have learned a little that your Mom is just as stubborn as you are. We battled, but I think I won!
Didn't stay dry that night. But that is not expected at this point.
Day 4: Peed first thing in the morning, on the potty in less than five minutes. Peed on potty at daycare twice, and three accidents. That night, one accident, peed twice on potty, and pooped on potty.
Day 5: Peed first thing in potty again, two minutes maybe. Only had two accidents at daycare. And not one accident at home that night. Each time you sat on potty, you went within five minutes. Even pooped once. We tried to get you to go again before bedtime, but it was getting too late, so we let you go to sleep.

Day 6: Potty in the potty chair first thing, and text from Alison, says you stayed dry all morning, and no accidants.

The reason I write now is because you have caused me to be a little insane this week. I questioned muliple times on whether to just give up, and put the diaper back on. But after a first day of going on it almost all day long, I KNEW you just had to be ready!

..............I just had to show you who was boss. You were a lot harder than Ben. Ben is a pleaser and it wasn't easy, but he isn't quite the stubborn character that you are. As trying and tiring as this experience is with you, I have seen a smile on your face after you go on the potty, that I have never seen before. You smiled from ear to ear letting Mama, Dad, and Ben know how stinking proud you were of yourself. I have danced around more in the last five days to show you how proud I am---probably more dancing than you have seen in a dance contest. Oh, yes we even created the one leg shaking, arms flapping, fingers snappin potty dance. You do it quite well. By the way, it is pretty funny to see your 5'11 Dad jump and cheer for you after he sees pee in a turtle bucket.

I know we have a long way to go. You are not easily defeated. :) Of course, you think you are still the boss. Jonna you are the cutest, stinkin-ist onry, little girl ever. But I wouldn't change one darn thing about you. I have learned the teenage years are going to be more trying than I can ever imagine. But just remember, Mama loves you no matter what.

1 comment:

Jensen Family said...

Haha, that post had me laughing quite a bit, did you by chance get Jake's celebrations on video? ;) Glad to hear potty training was a success!