This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thomas Francis, Tommy, Tom, Too Tall, Specialist Kusick.

What better time than the present to pick up and talk about my next sibling, Tommy. He is my younger brother by a little less than two years, 27 years old.

I just sat and ate lunch with my brother, and talked to him more in that hour about life and things going on than I may have done over the past year. Tommy has always kept more so to himself, and I will be straightforward to say we have never been really that close.

He grew up most of his childhood with the rest of us older ones in the little old town Frankenstein. I believe he was in 6th grade the year we moved to Jeff City.

One good story, and sad at the same time is when we had chickens and roosters that actually ran free in our yard at our old house. Well, one day, Tommy was fourish, they got all worked up and in an outbreak actually attacked/pecked away at Tommy. Mom said it was one of the scariest things ever, and that night, everyone of the roosters was gone. That is putting it nicely. Poor Tommy had to learn to be pretty tough at a young age!

Tommy was the cutest of little boys, and has grown up to be quite a goodlooking kid (man). He is short like all my brothers and my dad, but that doesn't make it any easier for them. Being 5 foot tall of the male race can be kind of difficult at times. For some reason, the short jokes never get old coming from others. Seriously, how many times do you think you could hear a person call you shorty, or a midget and that person laugh like it was the first time that joke ever been said. Short jokes, I guess you gotta love them. I think overall this has made Tommy grow and succeed in more ways than he thought possible.

Tommy may be short but he is stronger than a bull. And I mean that. He won an award in highschool for benchpressing twice his weight pound for pound! That is amazing. He was a great wrestler and placed 3rd in state in Highschool his senior year, and went on to wrestle at Missouri Baptist in College. From college he went on to the National Guard and that is going to put us up to present day. He has excelled over and over in the guard always scoring top in the PT (Physcial Training) Tests. Often, he is asked if he want to move up and become more of a leader. He has been hesitant to do so, but what an accomplishment.

My brother is leaving in less than a month to "Active" Infantry in Afghanistan. He will be leaving this weekend for Wisconsin for the last of his training before he leaves to start his first tour. Today was the last time I will see him until he returns from duty.

I give major props to my brother. I dont' think I could be any more proud. He acted as if it was no big deal and didn't want anyone making a big deal of his future. Seriously?! I mean seriously! I can't imagine what lies ahead of him. He just kept saying they are training us for everything, and it will be okay. I have never known anyone close to me that has served overseas let alone infantry.

I had the best time with him at lunch, that maybe I appreciated more than he knew. Today hit me quite differently than any other day. We talked. He told me his nicknames, and stories of his training. Mentioned his friends that he is going over with, Gillespie, and Rooster. I laughed as he told me the story of him and his Platoon leader wrestling around and he took him down. The story would probably be no big deal, except Tommy said he was three times his size.

I seem to often forget of everything that goes on around me in everyday life for other people. I get caught up in just everyday things with me, Jake, Jonna and Ben. Tommy reminded me of a life out there for our soldiers that I will never know, and they will face or see things that I will never see in my lifetime. It's just crazy, and when I said Goodbye and hugged him when I dropped him off, it seemed to hit like a ton of bricks. I love my brother and am so thankful for what he is doing for our nation. I would never have the guts to do it.

So major props and prayers for my brother Tommy! Way to go Tom! This big sister loves you and is so proud!

1 comment:

Lori O said...

Wow, I had no idea one of your brothers was heading out to Afghanistan! I can't imagine. It's really cool to hear about the different members of your family!