This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Thursday, July 23, 2009

Jonna is one Week old! Benjamin is very protective of his litte sister!

Man! It has only been three days, but I feel like I am so behind!

Yesterday, Jonna had her one week check up. She is 20 and 1/4 inches long (+3/4 inches) and 8lbs 2oz ( + 11oz from when we left the hospital, weighing in at 7lbs 7oz). I think Mom is doing something right!

All is going pretty well. Lots going on, I feel like I spend most of my day feeding her, burping her and changing her, but I would not change that for one minute. NO WAY! She is so beautiful, and still reminds me a ton of her big brother. Feeding is still going all right, I have my moments, but Jonna has been a doll and eating every three hours verses her older brother eating every two hours. Every night home but one, we have had a four hour span between feedings, which is pretty awesome. Jake and I are probably ranging around 6 hours of sleep at night from 9:30 to about 7am. It can be tiring, and I don't know if I expected it to be like this and that has made it easier, or I am just more relaxed with the second one. I have learned to take it easy and nap as much as I can during the day.

And, Jake. Ohhhhh Jake, I can't go on enough about how wonderful he has been and I know it is wearing on him also, but he is there every part of the day for me, whether it be just a short period of us both breathing a big heavy sigh, or running little errands, while I am feeding (I don't know that I will master running around the house while feeding), and also, being a superb Dad to Benjamin and Jonna.

And Benjamin, wow, he really has done great. Jake and I try to focus all the time on him when possible. Jonna doesn't understand much yet, as long as she is fed, changed cuddled, and loved, she is okay. Ben needs much more than that. And when we aren't able to do that, Ben has some trying temper tantrums. He really loves to help with Jonna, whether it be supervising diaper changes, my feedings, and bath times. Or he likes to hold her bottle. In the morning, he is so sweet. He goes straight to her to smile and pat or rub her face softly as he smiles and says, "Joooooonnnnnaaa" in the cutest big brother voice imaginable.

Also Ben's vocabulary has grown quite a bit! He likes to repeat everything that others say to him. And it is too funny. Papa Doug, said the other night. Ben you are a stout kid, and he responded in a firm voice, "STOUT KID". Or my favorite phrase is his "Ohhhhhhhh, Maaaaaaan!" He says this with a little gruff in his voice, which makes me laugh each time. Or "Oh Wellll" with a little southern twang to it. His favorite song right now is this "Peanut Butter song about a railroad track" And he prefers that Papa Doug sings it over and over and over and over and over again. Yes, that was five "overs".

And well, Me, I am doing okay, I have prayed more in the last week than what I have prayed in the last several months probably. I have become very fond of praying the rosary while feeding. It seems to pass the time, and helps with relaxation too. I also forget how I can eat like a 300lb man while BFing. I thought I ate a lot while pregnant. And talk about eating quick. I powered through three amazing Strawberry, cantaloupe crepes, with four pieces of sausage this morning in under ten minutes, I am certain. And water, have to drink the water, at least a gallon a day, and that doesn't seem like an exaggeration.

On the end note: Here are some pics to update!
First family picture of four!



Benjamin playing outside!


Jonna hanging outside too!

One week Old!

Yes, my zipper is down! Haha, but hey we match!

1 comment:

Crystal Ann said...

Maria, you look beautiful Mommy! Benjamin, you're a handsome big brother, just like I knew you would be. Jake, you're awesome! and Jonna, you're beautiful and such a dollbaby, cannot wait to hold you and feel how light you are! Glad you all are doing well, keep taking good care of yourselves. Love you!