Day 1: Jonna's birthday!
As seen before she was born at 8:44am. From preparation to the end of the day were the most emotional. While on the fetal monitor we listened to Jonna's HR for over an hour and this girl's heart didn't have one irregular beat. So that was the first sign of relief. She was ready! And, I was ready. I had a spinal tap for the anathesia which went very well. I walked right into the OR, IV in tact, and laid up on the operating table. Jake and videographer( uncle Johnny, lucky guy) waited to enter the OR or until I had my spinal tap, and surgery began. For the spinal tap, my doctor stood there holding my hand, and she probably realized how my grip just got tighter and tighter. I never realize how nervous I am till it hits me like a ton of bricks. Jake wallked in a few minutes later, and the tears began to flow. More like happy anxious tears, I wasn't in any pain. It's just all very emotional, and I wish I could say more, but that sums it up. Jake held my hand and within 8 or 9 minutes beginning of procedure we heard Jonna belting out the most beautiful cry in the world. The OR staff, my doctor, Jake, I, and several others had been taking bets on her weight. As soon as the head came out, Dr. Dodson said, "Oh, i might want to take mine back" She was estimated to be much smaller, and she came out a whopping 7 lbs 12 oz! I was so amazed to hear that. No one could really believe it! Her Apgar was great, Vitals wonderful, and Jake carried her over to see me. The happiness and tears begin to well over. She was beautiful, and looked exactly like her big brother with a little more hair.
So, then off to get her bath and Mom needed to be sewed back up. That went very well, the only pains I felt was a strong sharp one in my right shoulder, which the anathesioliogist let me know was referred pain being that my uterus was actually resting outside my body. I just kept taking deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth. He also said he was amazed at how stable my blood pressure and HR were. I forgot to mention I had scared him a moment right before the spinal tap went in that my BP dropped to 64 over 36. I told you I was nervous! And light headed puts it mildly.
Anyways, everthing went well, 21 staples later. Off to wait in my room till they could bring me Baby Jonna. From her birth to the first time I got to hold her was probably a good 45 minutes to an hour, but it felt like minutes.
So, that day went by in a blur. She wanted to feed right away! I am breast feeding and it is going better than the first time, but still difficult. I know it will get better though!
From the adrenalin, to the pain meds, meeting our baby girl, and the ULTIMATE relief of knowing she was strong and healthy, the day was crazy. My hormones were out of control, as the hours went by and I sweat my tail end off, asking Jake to keep turning the air down. Jake slept in a sweatshirt that night, and me in my nice hospital gown without covers. And I am not a hot natured person in normalness! Looking back at the first day, I didn't sleep once from 4:30 that morning till 8pm that night. I had several visitors, and it was great to see them, but literally, it is the foggiest thing ever. When I look back it was like everyone I talked to or saw was all in this crazy dream. I really don't even remember who I talked to that day on the phone, so I apologize to anyone if I seemed out of sorts at all.
Ben met her the first time that evening, and it was a little difficult on him, but we know he loves his little sister to say the least. She is here to stay and it is going to take a while for him to get used to that. I am sure I will write more later on that!
The first night went well! Jonna went to the nursery and I fed her every 2 to 2.5 hours. I was not satisfying her so after 40-45 minutes of feeding, we would supplement with an ounce of formula. I really wish I would have done that with Ben, I think it would have been a lot easier. The second day after a good off and on 6 hours of rest, I felt like I was a normal person again.
Back to Jonna, she SMILED at me on her birthday, I do remember that!! And it was the best most wonderful feeling in the world!
(Sorry about the jumbleness of all of this, I just don't want to forget anything)
Day 2: So much better, a little more rested, feeling great really, I was up walking around takin on the world thinkin this is ALLL RIGHT! Feeding went well again, we still supplemented and Jonna just seemed to get more and more beautiful. I had to put some pink on her that day, just because she looked so much like Ben, I needed to girly her up a bit! My IV came out, I got to shower and the day went by quick again. Jake hung out with Ben a lot, and he actually stayed at home with him that night. That night I woke at 11 pm and was in a horrible amount of pain. The nurse who was with me the night before, said, Maria you are nuts! Slow down girl, You had major abdominal surgery and I think you have overdone it. Took a couple pain meds, and that helped so much.
Day 3: Jake came back to stay with me at the hospital, breast feeding was becoming more physically painful and emotionally draining. Hormones were still working overtime, and I was a bit emotional, crying at the littlest of things, but Jake was there to hold me and probably wonder why his wife was so crazy, but he was still there as Superhusband for the support I needed. I missed Ben so much and felt horrible for being away, but after a phone call with my Mom she reassured me Ben was great, loving Papa, and Uncle Charlie, going to the park, and hangin out. Also, eating them out of house and home! MY good little eater!! I almost asked to be let go and go home that night, but looking back it was the best decision to stay another night. Jonna took a 2.5 hour and 4 hour gap between feedings! Heavenly.
Day 4: YAY! We came home! Mom met us at home with Ben an hour later. Jonna was sleeping when he got there, so we put all of our focus on him, giving him a present with cars and airplanes. And also, A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILIES that came to the hospital and bought presents for Ben. You really have no idea how much it helped.
So, a bit later, we asked, "Ben do you want to go see Baby Jonna?!" HE jumped up nodded and walked to the hallway, She is staying in a bassinet in our room and we walked in and he was so happy to see her, that he needed to hold her right away. Now he is great holding her the hard part has become taking her away from him. I think she is going to grow up to be a very patient tolerant little girl! Ben loves to put the binky in her mouth, and tries to feed her brownies. Reassuring him, that she isn't quite ready for that!
We have found that Ben is okay if I hold and take care of Jonna, but isn't too fond when Dad is taking care of her unless he is taking care of her with him. He had a hard time yesterday, which made it a little emotional for Jake and I too, but I just keep praying for GOD to give me strength! And we are doing ok.
Last night, we went for a short walk, and almost everyone of our neighbors came out to congratulate us and check out our new addition. It was just a wonderful welcoming (felt like a movie) feeling. Makes me smile now thinking about it.
THE FIRST NIGHT AT HOME:
She didn't want to go to sleep so, she ended up finally resting with Dad in the recliner at 11pm. I came to get her at about 1:00 and fed her and she went off to sleep at about 2:30 again, and slept till 6am! IT WAS AWESOME!
Also note on breast feeding: I have found that feeding her off one, and me pumping the other has worked out wonderfully. I won't go into to much detail, but it is reassuring to me to say the least.
Fed her again at 6:15, and hung out with Big bro for a while. He loves her so much truly.I just love it! Like I said just trying to ger her away from him has been the problem. We all walked to daycare this morning, so Ben could show off his little sister. Ben cried a little when we left, but I know he is going to be okay.
I took a well needed nap forced upon me by Jake from 7:45-9:45! Thanks HUBBY!
So, Jake is off to pick up Grandma Deena and Papa Doug at the airport, and we will await their arrival. They will stay with us for a week and we can't wait!
WHEWWWWW! DID you catch all that! Hopefully the next journals won't be quite this long!
SOME PICS!
Car Ride Home!
This morning watching TV with BEN! Ben is trying to get her to look at the camera, and then look at the TV to watch Mickey Mouse Club House, OF COURSE!
4 comments:
How cute! Glad to hear you are all home and doing well! What beautiful kids !
Glad to hear things are going well! She is just so precious, Maria! And what a great big brother Ben is being, he's already being overprotective of lil sis!
Yay mama, glad you are all home and getting rest. Yay Jake for making Mia nap :) Hope things continue to go well. Thinking of you.
So glad to hear from you finally! I've been waiting for this post. I'd love to see a newborn pic of Ben next to Jonna's pics, b/c I don't remember what he looked like. I think she looks like you. Anyway, I've been thinking of you lots, and also wondering when we can schedule an IM-wine date night. Let me know when you are feeling up to it! ;-)
Post a Comment