This is the first day of the rest of your life.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt


Thursday, April 30, 2009

Maternal Instinct

So, I am almost 28 weeks, and I had an appointment yesterday. Took the wonderful glucose test to test for gestational diabetes, and seriously the stuff you drink for it is pretty tasty. Orange Kool-aid would be the comparison.

My BP and weight doing well. I gained 3.5 lbs this month which is right on target, I think that is like 12.5 lbs overall.

All was doing well, till the doppler. Nothing too alarming. She did the regular checking for Jonna's heart rate which has always been eventful because she has never been one to sit still. Doc laughed over and over again as Jonna kicked right at the wand. A few moments later, my very calm doctor said Maria, I hear something irregular, let's go do an ultrasound. Caught me off guard at first, but I was a little excited to get to see her picture again.

The regular US technician was not there, so Doc did it, and reassured me she wasn't the pro like the tech was. Right away, she found the heart and focused on the chambers. It was difficult to see, but I had an idea what to look for, and very clear as day was an apparent irregular heart rate. As we watched the beat, it would be all over the place, a beat, beat, then babump, babump, babump then back to regular beat, beat, beat again, then just break in with several off beats. We watched for what seemed like hours, but was only minutes, but the entire time, Jonna's heart didn't look right. I have some previous nursing back ground even went through OB clinicals, and I probably know enough just to make me worry more. Honestly, she could have just been sitting in an odd position in there, and that's all.

I questioned the 4 chambers, and my doctor said she didn't feel comfortable answering because of course she wasn't the expert, but said she was going to send us to a "maternal fetal specialist" at Boone Hospital in Columbia. So, that is where I am headed off today at 2. Jake is going with me, and we hope to find that it is nothing serious, and just random irregularity.

The doctor reassured me of two things, that just because there is an irregular heart beat doesn't mean she has a defect, and if she does have a defect, nothing would be able to done for her till birth. Hmmmmmmmm. Well, I just hope and pray for some good results today. And I am very glad my doctor cares and doesn't take any chances.

After talking to my dear old Mom, with lots of experience in the maternal pregnancy department, and she told me that probably 7 out of the 10 kids she's had they told her all kinds of things, and they would run more tests, and everything would turn out fine. But she related to me on how worried I am and offered to take off and go with me. Jake is working today, but they are going to let him go for a few hours to be there with me.

We do know that Jake's Dad had a heart defect involving the four chambers, where there were only actual three fully developed ones, and he had surgery as an infant to get it fixed. I am not certain if it is congenital or not. So, let's just hope the doctor we meet with today finds some answers and will hopefully, let us know today! This Mom is very anxious and worried.

As a mother, Maternal instinct kicks in and a MILLION what-ifs go through my mind. I just keep patting my belly and reassuring Jonna that God is going to take care of her no matter what if it is anything at all.

And as a side note: we were directed to the Maternal Fetal Specialists Group. Due to politics and society, Jonna is referred to as a fetus. But one thing is so certain to me that this little girl is our baby. She is going to be special in everyway, and just due to the fact that society refers to her as a fetus, doesn't change any thought in my head or connection I have already developed with her. It really upsets me in a way, that any person out there could honestly not realize that whether 28 weeks in the womb or 1 week out of the womb, she is still a baby, and I just absolutely am horrified thinking that a mother would make a decison to abort their child at this point. Sometimes, society and politicians really ticks me off. You get my point.

So, please say some prayers for our little girl. No matter what, I know she is going to be okay. She just will and that is all there is to it.

6 comments:

Lori O said...

Oh goodness, I hope & pray all is okay! But thankfully for technology they can find things out early and fix so much stuff! Doctors that treat hearts are amazing, and babies' hearts are even more amazing than that! Hopefully you'll have relief after this appt and whatever happens, you've got smart people who are on top of it. On the bright side, did it occur to anyone that maybe her heart was fluttering b/c of the sugary drink you had for the GD test? haha. I know sugar does that to me, at least it feels like it! Keepin' your family in my prayers!

Maria said...

Thanks Lori! I appreciate it so much and know you understand! I did ask about the sugar drink, and she said that, that shouldn't cause the irregularity that was occurring, just may make it increase. But I was quick to ask about that cuz I thought the same thing.

The Rowden's said...

Maria- We will keep your family and precious baby in our prayers. We used the Maternal and Fetal Care Group in Columbia for both of our babies (Dr. Mark Grant)...he is so intelligent and gives the best care. The new technology is amazing and I'm sure you'll get to see your little girl again today, which is always exciting! Take care. - Lindsey Rowden

Jessica said...

Maria, I hope & pray your appointment goes well & that the doctor will be able to find if there is a problem & what. Please let us know if there's anything I can do for you! If you need me to pick up Ben from Daycare or anything else, let me know. I will be praying for you & baby Jonna! Love you guys!

Jensen Family said...

Good luck today Maria, we hope and pray that everything goes well.

Maria said...

Thanks to everyone for the prayers. Lindsay, I wanted to mention how thankful I am of your comment. I have always heard wonderful things about Boone, and their physicians and staff overall. Often I consider switching to that hospital, but I am also so happy with my OB here. Dr. Mark Grant is who we will be seeing today. So just thanks for the reassurance.