It has begun. My loving husband gave in, and allowed me to buy a Crossfit 101 6 session class. I returned a sweater dress that I got from Santa, and instead of buying more clothes, I used some towards the signup fee and some for a "Crossfit Untosppable" T-shirt.
I am 4 sessions in and feel good about it. I have always been one to want to be healthy, workout, and exercise. Around this time last year, when I felt my aging body get flabbier and flabbier, I made a goal to become the healthiest and strongest I have ever been, so here I am. I have never looked forward to working out so much. Coach R makes the workouts fun, and pushes me like my big brother, Coach Kusick. Since he is two hours away, and don't have the ability to workout with him, I am sticking with Coach R. And I have not been let down. It's like a competition each time I workout. It's always something different. Since I never competed in highschool or college, this is just downright exhilerating.
Last night we had a workout, called something like a triple.
Three rounds, 12-9-6, Thrusters, Box Jumps, and Sit-ups. Goal was to do it in correct form as quickly as possible, and I finished in 2:25. Next time I will do more weight. Most workouts, I have the slight feeling that I could vomit because I have pushed myself so much. Last night, it was almost easy. Which makes me realize I am getting stronger, and am enduring.
So, I previously had a goal of 10 pull-ups, which I was able to reach last September/October. I randomly do them off and on, but haven't really pushed them lately. I feel like I have slacked off, and I didn't want to to do that. Well, a goal was to do a full WOD with pullups in it, and I am going to somewhat attempt tonight.
Three rounds of 9-6-3 Pullups, Pushups, Squats. I don't go back to the Crossfit gym till Thursday, so I need to use my time off wisely.
Over the last several months, I have read so much about Crossfit. From pros and how everyone should do it and uplifting personal stories. But then some people call it crazy. Absurd. I can say from my personal experience I love it. I still have to deter a bit because of my hip, and I know I am going to have frustrations from that in the future. Plus, I need to back up my brother who made me promise to do sternum pullups vs. kipping in my workouts(this means I need to get on the ball), and if I ever do a one-up it has to be on the rings from there on out. Ok, Jason, will do.
The funniest part about this Crossfit, as I read more about it, it actually just plain reminds me of my family and how we grew up as kids. Handstands, pullups, lifts, walking on your hands, monkeybars, handstand pushups, wall climbs, timed lawnmower sprints. These are things that we did for fun daily growing up in the middle of nowhere. I have to give the props to my Dad. He was an athlete all his life, and continues to weightlift to this day. Had I mentioned before he is 60 and just did 46 pullups on Saturday? He made that stuff fun for us. It definately built on the already competitive nature we had, but who would have thought we would carry this fun stuff on to our kids. You know Ben and Jonna are wanting to do pull ups on the bar right after me right?! I think its awesome.
There is the theory behind Crossfit of 'Tabata'. My understanding is to be able to do a hardcore workout in a short amount of time vs other workouts would be taking up 45 minutes to an hour. Example Running on an eliptical....thats not really much fun either. You build strength and endurance and wonder how that was possible in just doing a 10 minute or less workout. What's best about this theory, is coming from a very busy working Mom, this is perfect. It actually couldnt be better.
So, I will continue to grow, continue to workout, and from time to time, post my goals and my downfalls on this track of my life. It has made me realize all things are possible....even the fact that some day, some day maybe a long time off. I could own a gym and sell those supplements I am constantly preaching to my friends and family about.
All is well in Holee land.
2 comments:
I wondered when you'd post about your newest love :-) I will play devil's advocate with you & your bro on pull-ups: kipping pull-ups have their place. They do not require the brute strength of strict chest-to-bar pull-ups, but they require a load of coordination from the entire body, producing more power output, and thus benefiting the entire body, not just the lats. Some like to argue that kipping is "cheating", I like to argue that it's working smart and efficient. Both versions have their place and neither is a substitute for the other when you are training all aspects of fitness. :-) Geez I sound just like my husband.
LOL! Wait for it. Wait for it!..... I knew it was coming. I agree kipping is a whole other coordination tapped into the concept of a pullup for chin to the bar. Believe me, I can do more sternum pull-ups than kipping. But I can also say, a sternum pull-up also is more than lats:). Love you Lori! Thanks for geeking out with me.
Post a Comment